Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart Jim Stewart is offline

Default Simplest electric motor

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:56:59 -0500, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus5215 wrote:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/

That was worth watching.

I wonder if they're anywhere near a large magnetic field. Back in the
1990s at least, we had a blower fan in GE's MRI scanners that was a
normal DC motor with fixed field - but the field was the scanner's
magnet itself. Strangest motor you ever saw, just a rotor, no stator.
Only worked when the system was ramped up. Not sure if it was a
prototype or went into production that way but damned clever, and a
great puzzler for people who know just enough about how motors work.

No need for one. It's a classic
homopolar motor in a very clever
implementation.