Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Simplest electric motor

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5215 wrote:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/

That was worth watching.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:56:59 -0500, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus5215 wrote:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/

That was worth watching.

I wonder if they're anywhere near a large magnetic field. Back in the
1990s at least, we had a blower fan in GE's MRI scanners that was a
normal DC motor with fixed field - but the field was the scanner's
magnet itself. Strangest motor you ever saw, just a rotor, no stator.
Only worked when the system was ramped up. Not sure if it was a
prototype or went into production that way but damned clever, and a
great puzzler for people who know just enough about how motors work.

Dave Hinz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:56:59 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

Ignoramus5215 wrote:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/

That was worth watching.

I was in tears when it finished. Good laugh!

--
I guess they don't make import crap like they used to.
--Ernie L., Usenet's Wreck.Metal group
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5215 wrote:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/

That was worth watching.

I wonder if they're anywhere near a large magnetic field. Back in the
1990s at least, we had a blower fan in GE's MRI scanners that was a
normal DC motor with fixed field - but the field was the scanner's
magnet itself. Strangest motor you ever saw, just a rotor, no stator.
Only worked when the system was ramped up. Not sure if it was a
prototype or went into production that way but damned clever, and a
great puzzler for people who know just enough about how motors work.

No need for one. It's a classic
homopolar motor in a very clever
implementation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5215 wrote:
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/971400...lectric_motor/

I have recently seen the same thing with a slight variation here
http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/project1 .

Must try it before I see my nephew at Christmas and make sure I have the
goods along.

Electric motor Oren Home Repair 12 November 2nd 07 01:46 AM
Simplest possible way to construct furniture? [email protected] Woodworking 12 March 19th 06 09:32 PM
electric motor help William Wixon Metalworking 9 February 24th 06 04:50 AM
Simplest way to replace the boiler... PC Paul UK diy 20 December 20th 05 04:28 PM
what's the absolute simplest, most foolproof way to may shelves? Suz UK diy 7 August 14th 05 12:13 PM