Posted to alt.home.repair
BoyntonStu BoyntonStu is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Panel Question

On Dec 14, 8:16 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , BoyntonStu wrote:

On Dec 13, 3:44 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
I'm not understanding you. On some panels, one leg of buss would be longer
to reach a horizontally installed main breaker. A 120 volt GFCI breaker has
a white wire on it that gets installed on the neutral buss.

Yes, it had the 20 volt

Obviously a typo -- but what digit is missing? Was that supposed to be 120, or
240?

GFCI breaker with a white wire on it
installed on the neutral buss.

The other white wire from the black/white pair, was initially
connected to the neutral of the GFCI.

On a 120V GFCI breaker, that's where it's *supposed* to be connected.

When it was removed, it measured 240 VAC to the black of another
circuit breaker output.

That was the surprise and confusion.

Not surprising at all if you stop and think about it. Disconnect (carefully!!)
the neutral wire for any circuit from the bus bar. Turn on some load on
that circuit (e.g. a light bulb). Then measure the voltage between that
neutral wire and the terminal of an adjacent circuit breaker (which in most
panels will be on the opposite leg of the service). 240VAC is exactly what you
should see.

--
Regards,

Yes 240 VAC. (typo)

"Not surprising at all if you stop and think about it.

3 wires coming into panel.

1 is neutral wired to ground.

There is 240VAC between the 2 others and each is wired to a bus.

We are examining the left (odd) side column of breakers; 13 and 15.

Question 1. Are 13 and 15 on the same leg?

Question 2. What should the black of 15 measure to a lifted white
wire?