Posted to rec.woodworking
Ron c. Ron c. is offline

Default 8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

I can't believe how much people pay for quality wood. Do a google
search for sawmills in your area, also check
http://www.switchboard.com for them. Then go talk to the owner. Most
small sawmills will sell you whatever you need. I've bought as little
as one board, or 1000bft lots. If you can dry your own wood, it gets
even cheeper. The last lot of birdseye maple I bought was $1.00 a
board foot, $0.50 for character grade walnut, and $0.50 for cherry.
Here's a link to some cheep lumber in East Tennessee:

http://www.tpost.com/results.aspx?key=lumber

And the ads online today:

KILN DRIED LUMBER Red Oak, White Oak, Hard Maple, Soft Maple, Walnut,
Poplar, Hickory, Ash & Cherry Call for info & prices

LUMBER 500 BD ft kiln dried cherry, 8' lengths, 6-8" widths, 1" thick
$500

LUMBER CEDAR LUMBAR, 510lf $1020 for all

LUMBER CEDAR, 100 board foot $200 for all

LUMBER CHERRY AND walnut 100 board feet $150

2500 FT LUMBER MIXED CHERRY, Walnut, Oak, Poplar $1500

LUMBER WALNUT, 220+ bft, kiln dried, lv msg $500

LUMBER WALNUT, 500' +, 35yr seasoned $600, also 100' of Wormy Chestnut
$150

You can find locally produced wood from your area just as cheep if you
look hard enough. Also, go the the websites of portable sawmills,
(Woodmizer, etc.) They have lists of people who have bought their
machines. Find someone in your area and contact them. Have them call
you when they have lumber to sell.

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:39:33 GMT, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:23:38 -0800 (PST), Larry Bud
wrote:

Just to add to the current discussion, I happened to the yard
yesterday to buy some white oak:

Even more, check my guy out:

http://www.cwghardwoodoutlet.com/pricelists/ctwoodgroup_hardwoodpricelist.pdf

Compare white oak, where the difference is as much as $4/bf for
quartersawn, and sapele, where the difference is only $0.35/bf.