Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"Robert Green" wrote in message
I'm adding two new outlets to my circuit breaker panel. I've got the

room
for the additional breakers in the box but the neutral bus bar has no

more
room for the neutral and ground wires required. Is it permissible to

put
more than one wire per set-screw hole on the neutral bus bar? Some

sites
I've researched say yes, others say no. If no, what are the options

besides
replacing the whole circuit breaker panel?

The panel label should have the information that you need. Usually you

can
double or triple the ground wires together. The neutral wires must be by
themselves. As others have suggested it is possible to add a ground bar

the panel.

It's a Square D QOC-20MW (on the cover label) but a QO8W-20M100-5 on the
panel label. There are three diagrams on the label and the one that appears
to apply shows three levels of neutral bus bars with arrows pointing to the
center of the center bar. One arrow says "Box bonding when required" and
points to the very center of the bar at a O in between two X's. The other
says "Ground when required" and points to the innermost left setscrew on the
center bus.

[ O O O O X o X O O O O ]
^

(The O's are set screws There's also an abbreviation S/N next to a circle
that's drawn inside the lines of the third bus bar. On the other two
drawings where there are only two bus bars, the circle is outside the bus
bars.)

Not anything written on it that would seem to shed light on the "more than
one to a hole" issue.

The box label has 4-81 in the lower left corner and the box's forged
inspection label is dated 6/82 so I assume this box is 25+ years old.

--
Bobby G.