Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:51:35 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

I'm adding two new outlets to my circuit breaker panel. I've got the

room
for the additional breakers in the box but the neutral bus bar has no

more
room for the neutral and ground wires required. Is it permissible to put
more than one wire per set-screw hole on the neutral bus bar? Some sites
I've researched say yes, others say no. If no, what are the options

besides
replacing the whole circuit breaker panel?

TIA,

You can double up or maybe even triple up GROUND wires (depending on
brand) , Neutrals are one per hole.

That explains the confusion.

Look at the panel label to see
about the grounds. Don't pull of any neutrals if the power is on. Bad
things can happen.

Shocking!

Trip the main.
Certainly adding supplimental bars is a better way to go but don't put
neutrals on suplimental bars, only grounds. If you put a neutral on
the supplimental bars you are putting circuit current through the
metal can and the green bonding screw.
(that is 250.6 for you code guys)

Not sure I understand this. This is a very old (well circa 1981) panel. I
have a photograph but I think the Usenet police forbid posting same here.
It looks like a supplemental bar would screw into the two existing bars and
wouldn't contact anything except the existing bars. This is old, ungrounded
wiring. The panel was a "heavy up" added so that the buyer could qualify
for an FHA sale. Next time I go downstairs, I'll copy all the important
info.

--
Bobby G.