Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default More than one wire to a hole/set-screw on neutral bus bar?

"Joe" wrote in message
On Dec 11, 8:51 pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
I'm adding two new outlets to my circuit breaker panel. I've got the

room
for the additional breakers in the box but the neutral bus bar has no

more
room for the neutral and ground wires required. Is it permissible to

put
more than one wire per set-screw hole on the neutral bus bar?

No.

Some sites
I've researched say yes, others say no. If no, what are the options

besides
replacing the whole circuit breaker panel?

Get a bus bar kit from your distributor. Install in panel, there will
be predrilled/ tapped holes for this. Connect regular bus bar and
added bus bar via the larger set screw holes intended for this
purpose. Use short section of #4 or #6 bare copper to connect. Should
take half an hour and cost under $20. HTH

Thanks, Joe. That's what I thought when I saw the two front-facing threaded
screw holes on the frontmost bar. At first I thought they were empty
set-screw threads but on closer inspection, that's where two existing bus
bars are connected. I'll check with the local supply house after I record
the box model number and take some photos to show them. I recalled reading
somewhere that two wires to a hole can lead to intermittent neutral problems
and that's why I asked.

--
Bobby G.