Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Panel Question

I'm not understanding you. On some panels, one leg of buss would be longer
to reach a horizontally installed main breaker. A 120 volt GFCI breaker has
a white wire on it that gets installed on the neutral buss.

"BoyntonStu" wrote in message
On Dec 13, 10:47 am, bud-- wrote:
BoyntonStu wrote:
3 wires coming into panel.

1 wire to ground.

2 other wires have 240 volts between them.

Each wire is connected to a 100 Amp breaker that is ganged to another.

Where do these wires connect to when the breaker is ON?

IOW If there is 240 VAC between these 2 wires they can't connect to
the same strip, can they?

Your 100A breaker takes 4 spaces. But no they can't - each incoming wire
connects to only one of the panel busses even though each half of the
breaker covers both busses. The breaker might actually use connection to
only 2 of the spaces or if it might use all 4 but stager the connection
inside the breaker.

--
bud--

Bud,

OK One bus must be longer in length than the other in order for the
top part to reach over the shorter bus and contact the 2nd breaker
output.

An electrician found an error in my breaker box and I was curious.

He measured 240 VAC between a black wire and a white wire.

Someone had connected the white wire to the panel neutral side of a
GFCI breaker? Duh!

I could not understand how 240 VAC could exist.

He simply grounded the white wire everything was dandy.

Do you understand the situation?