Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Ring Main Extension - Done Incorrectly ?

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 04:40:28 -0800, andy.hide wrote:

We have just moved into a new 1960s house and the upstairs ring main has
been extended into the loft by drilling a hole through the wall of the
back of a socket in one of the bedrooms into the airing cupboard.

2 X 2.5mm T+E then loops round the loft and back to the socket. So.. in
the back of my socket I have 4 pairs of wires attached.

This to me seems wrong. I would have added a junction box in the airing
cupboard and then run one of the existing wires to that. I would then
loop from there round the loft and back to the socket.

Can anyone confirm if the way it's been done is acceptable. I would have
thought that this setup would mean an imbalance in the current
travelling round the ring.

Cheers.

If two of the pairs of wires (int the socket) are nicely joined with a
proper crimping tool. If all the earths are properly sleeved and joined
If the back box has (a) grommet(s) fitted for the new cable exit(s). If
the resulting new ring is still compliant for total cable length (for the
given fuse or MCB) and for expected loading and for the served floor
area.
Then it's probably OK.