Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Ring Main Extension - Done Incorrectly ?

On 13 Dec, 13:03, adder1969 wrote:
On Dec 13, 12:40 pm, wrote:

We have just moved into a new 1960s house and the upstairs ring main
has been extended into the loft by drilling a hole through the wall of
the back of a socket in one of the bedrooms into the airing cupboard.

2 X 2.5mm T+E then loops round the loft and back to the socket. So..
in the back of my socket I have 4 pairs of wires attached.

This to me seems wrong. I would have added a junction box in the
airing cupboard and then run one of the existing wires to that. I
would then loop from there round the loft and back to the socket.

Can anyone confirm if the way it's been done is acceptable. I would
have thought that this setup would mean an imbalance in the current
travelling round the ring.

Cheers.

If's it's a double socket individually wired then it sounds fine to
me.

Certainly to me the description sounds as if this is a spur that has
been set up as a ring off a ring - ie a 'ring' spur ! ! The OP talks
of 4 wires going into the socket :
So in the back of my socket I have 4 pairs of wires attached.

Nowhere does the description make me think that the 'primary' ring has
been opened up and the additional wiring included within this ring.

Firstly this is not acceptable, if for nothing else that it could
cause a severe misbalance in the 'primary' ring at this point. A spur
is just that - a single branch cable off the ring.

The OP needs to either convert this just to a spur with one socket on
it - ie a radial - or incorporate this loop properly within the ring
feeding his bedroom area. I will leave it to those who are more up to
date than I to state the regulations on how that can be done !

Rob