Posted to uk.d-i-y
adder1969 adder1969 is offline

Default Ring Main Extension - Done Incorrectly ?

On Dec 13, 1:15 pm, Stuart B wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 05:03:34 -0800 (PST),adder1969

wrote:
On Dec 13, 12:40 pm, wrote:
We have just moved into a new 1960s house and the upstairs ring main
has been extended into the loft by drilling a hole through the wall of
the back of a socket in one of the bedrooms into the airing cupboard.

2 X 2.5mm T+E then loops round the loft and back to the socket. So..
in the back of my socket I have 4 pairs of wires attached.

This to me seems wrong. I would have added a junction box in the
airing cupboard and then run one of the existing wires to that. I
would then loop from there round the loft and back to the socket.

Can anyone confirm if the way it's been done is acceptable. I would
have thought that this setup would mean an imbalance in the current
travelling round the ring.

Cheers.

If's it's a double socket individually wired then it sounds fine to
me.

How do you mean ,individually wired ? It's part of a ring and
another ring has been added to that socket with who knows how many
sockets on it . Thats not the way to extend a ring afaik .

If one side of the old ring and one side of the new ring are joined
together in one socket, and the other sides of both rings are joined
in the other socket then it remains a ring. If however they're all
jammed into one connection then it's more of a spur but then i don't
see the need for the two runs up to the loft.