Posted to alt.home.repair
John Albert John Albert is offline

Default Remodeling - window & siding questions

Joe wrote:
Whoa, lad, didn't you just say you wanted functional,
declining neighborhood and all? Best bet for your 2-3 year
residency is to hire a good carpenter to do over the old
shingle siding. A fresh coat of stain and you've put that
one behind you.

I think a good portion of it (west and south sides) is too
far gone to "do over". They're painted, can't be stained.
Don't even know if they're wood, were they using anything
else at the time, asbestos, perhaps? They have a deeply
stippled outer edge that doesn't look like wood. I could be
wrong.

I realize often vinyl siders just build over what's there, I
don't think that would work for me and I wouldn't want that,
anyway.

Unless the windows are falling apart, just repair and
caulk, whatever. Keep telling yourself, 'I won't be here in
3 years'.

One window did literally "fall apart on me" (had an air
conditioner in the window and hadn't checked it closely for
a few years, found it a few days ago). The bottom of the
sash rotted out. When I pulled the a/c out, the glass came
out as well. All I have in that opening today is a storm
window and half a double-hung. I definitely need to get that
taken care of!

Keep windows on the back burner. What is the condition of
the important utilities, plumbing, electrical, furnace, AC?

Plumbing has had some upgrades, but my upstairs bathroom tub
tiling is falling apart (old plaster wall rotting out behind
the tiles, which were done over in the 50's or 60's, it
looks like). Wall needs to be re-done with the green
sheetrock and I'll put in a liner of some sort (no more
tile!). Furnace is 20 years old but ok. Electrical? Knob and
tube, 60 amps, with old-style fuses. No way I can get that
replaced without spending a fortune. I figured I'd at least
have the service upgraded to 100 amps if I do the siding over.

Yes, do the roof. It will cost many times more than you
think it will since logically you will need gutters and
downspouts in most places.

Gutters on one side are falling off. Downspouts seem ok.The
trim needs cleaning up. By the way, I can't check up in the
attic to see if I have tongue & groove, as there is
insulation packed on the ceiling and even the end walls.
Perhaps I can pull a little down when I have a roof guy look
at it.

See comments above. Don't get in over your head, the roof
alone may be over $10K.

Yup. I figured by the time I did everything needed to make
the place saleable, I'd be spending upwards of $30,000. I
can afford to do it financially, but of course wish I didn't
have to.

I'm _hoping_ to sell and move upon retirement. Then again, I
could be stuck here for reasons whatever. That's why I want
to do the job right, even if I have to sell for a little
under market value to get it off my hands.

I expect that any buyer will move immediately to convert the
house to 2-family, or even add onto the back and transform
it into an "immigrant hotel", doubling or tripling it
lengthwise. Seems to have been done to more than a few
existing one or two family houses in this area (including
the one right next to me, ugh).

Thanks for the comments,
- John