Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default how to run electric to island in basement

wrote:

On Dec 11, 9:47 pm, Lou wrote:
I gotta tell ya, everything suggested so far is much more work
and expense than just cutting into the concrete and laying some cable.
With a rented quickie saw, it should take you about 15 minutes to cut
two grooves in the concrete. Then take a cold chisle and knock it out.
I would try and lay romex cable instead of conduit. With conduit, you
run the risk of moister collection with no way of draining. Run a 4
wire
12 guage, just in case you want 2 circuits.
Lou

So are you saying to cut the concrete, run 12/3 romex, and then pour
new concrete right over the romex? I thought that was what I needed
conduit for, and the romex went inside the conduit. No???

You'd have to use UF, not Romex (NM) if you were to direct bury it.
Conduit is cheap and allows for pulling new or additional conductors in
the future. You generally don't run Romex in conduit either, you usually
pull individual THHN conductors. Moisture in the PVC conduit will
certainly happen, but rarely bothers the conductors in it.