Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default 8/4 Cost Per Boardfoot Versus 4/4 Cost?

On Dec 12, 10:50 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:

Interesting thing, though -- at the lumber supplier just up the road from mehttp://www.northwestlumberco.com/domestic.php
the price premiums for 8/4 vs. 4/4 are 14% for ash, 25% for cherry, 20% for
cypress, 25% for poplar, 50% for walnut -- all about what I'd expected -- and
68% for red oak and 78% for white oak!

Why would the premium be so much more for oak than for cherry?

And why is it only 4% on hard maple?

I can't even begin to guess: I wouldn't pay a cent premium for any
thickness of white or red oak, but around here, red oak is a near
dominant species (tulip poplar beats it, as does SYP), and white oak
is plentiful. In fact, so is cherry and walnut and ash and...I've
always been willing to buy green and rough and wait a couple, three
years, which is a fine way to save a LOT of money on wood, if you have
a planer and jointer on hand.