Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default BILLION

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:20:57 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, F.
George McDuffee quickly quoth:

Indeed, and a good point too. However consider that the sea
levels continue to rise, and the ground continues to subside in
the N/O area. ==No debate on this, its established fact.==
Thus, another catastrophic flood/innundation is bound to occur
sooner or later, AT THAT LOCATION.

Right, since they're all under sea level, they'll either have to do as
the Dutch have by building massive dikes or fill in and build on top.
Neither would be suitable to me. I'd move (if I had ever been stupid
enough to live there in the first place.)

http://www.news.vu/en/news/environme...sleading.shtml
interesting info and a good point of reference for further research.
It also points out numerous faked scientist's papers, a growing
threat.

Given that the federal government has and will continue to spend
huge sums of tax payer money of N/O disaster relief, the question
should be why does N/O have to be where it is? Historically, it
was the port at the mouth of the Mississippi river, which
required huge numbers of people.

EXCELLENT point, Unk.

With the change in cargos and ship design, shipping is no longer
a labor intensive industry, and the automobile/mass transit means
that the people that are employed in industries and activities
that must be situated by the water no longer have to live there,
but on higher ground in-land.

I also see no reason the entertainment district should not also
move to higher ground [above sea level], even if this involves
the moving of historic buildings rather than their re-creation.

FWIW -- many of the quaint historic N/O buildings were shoddily
constructed to start with using marginal local materials such as
the soft brick, are 100 or more years old, and were about to fall
down, even without any storm damage.

N/O re-construction is however the ideal federal project: it
requires enormous sums of money just to maintain the status quo,
involves huge contracts with private industry with little or no
oversight [its an emergency and for the children] and will never
be completed.

--
Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it.
Plan more than you can do, then do it.