Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default OT-tile backsplash sealing opinions

On Dec 12, 8:43 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
So next step in the Kitchen remodel is to tile a backsplash.

Solid Surface countertop fabricated and installed. Went well, gap in
the back to the wall is flush most places to a maximum of 1/16" in a
few, and there is no SS backsplash coved or otherwise. Plan is to
tile a backsplash wall from the counter top to the bottom of the top
cabinets/windows/ vent hood. Tiles will be 3/8" proud of the wall.

Plan to leave a 3/16" gap between the tile and countertop and use a
color matched (to the grout) sanded caulk at that point. Using MAPEI
grout and keracaulk which is an acrylic caulk.

Would there be an advantage to precaulking the wall/SS joint with a
silicone before the start of tiling to get an additional water
protection seal or would this be an uneeded step or possibly a
negative.

Unless you have a habit of letting water pond on your countertops
there's really no advantage to double caulking at the counter/
backsplash joint. Make sure the caulking depth is less than the
caulking height (don't fill the joint depth) or the caulk will try to
pull away from the counter and splash.

I had to read your post a couple of times - every time I ran across SS
I had to go back and see where I'd missed your mention of Stainless
Steel. Old habits. In this instance I'd use the term Corian (or
approved equal) and rest comfortably that the trademark police
wouldn't prosecute.