Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT-tile backsplash sealing opinions

So next step in the Kitchen remodel is to tile a backsplash.

Solid Surface countertop fabricated and installed. Went well, gap in
the back to the wall is flush most places to a maximum of 1/16" in a
few, and there is no SS backsplash coved or otherwise. Plan is to
tile a backsplash wall from the counter top to the bottom of the top
cabinets/windows/ vent hood. Tiles will be 3/8" proud of the wall.

Plan to leave a 3/16" gap between the tile and countertop and use a
color matched (to the grout) sanded caulk at that point. Using MAPEI
grout and keracaulk which is an acrylic caulk.

Would there be an advantage to precaulking the wall/SS joint with a
silicone before the start of tiling to get an additional water
protection seal or would this be an uneeded step or possibly a
negative.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 8:43 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
So next step in the Kitchen remodel is to tile a backsplash.

Solid Surface countertop fabricated and installed. Went well, gap in
the back to the wall is flush most places to a maximum of 1/16" in a
few, and there is no SS backsplash coved or otherwise. Plan is to
tile a backsplash wall from the counter top to the bottom of the top
cabinets/windows/ vent hood. Tiles will be 3/8" proud of the wall.

Plan to leave a 3/16" gap between the tile and countertop and use a
color matched (to the grout) sanded caulk at that point. Using MAPEI
grout and keracaulk which is an acrylic caulk.

Would there be an advantage to precaulking the wall/SS joint with a
silicone before the start of tiling to get an additional water
protection seal or would this be an uneeded step or possibly a
negative.

Unless you have a habit of letting water pond on your countertops
there's really no advantage to double caulking at the counter/
backsplash joint. Make sure the caulking depth is less than the
caulking height (don't fill the joint depth) or the caulk will try to
pull away from the counter and splash.

I had to read your post a couple of times - every time I ran across SS
I had to go back and see where I'd missed your mention of Stainless
Steel. Old habits. In this instance I'd use the term Corian (or
approved equal) and rest comfortably that the trademark police
wouldn't prosecute.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

I don't grout between tile and other materials or where you turn
corners like in the corner of a shower. I would install the tile on
the wall and grout between the tiles. Then when all is done run a
bead of caulk along the joint between the counter and the tiled wall.

Grout at the intersection of the backsplash and counter is bound to
fail.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 06:00:02 -0800 (PST), RicodJour
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the opinion; sorry for the confusion. I expect that only
the good people at Dupont would be offended.

As an old welder, my first trade, I did make a feeble attempt to
convice wife that a nice, practical, commercial looking, stainless
steel kitchen would be a good choice. I envisioned stainless steel
counters with inset, removable, wooden cutting surfaces interspaced.
My vision was not shared. Probably OK, not sure we are long term
here, not sure of the unviversal appeal of my vision.

Frank

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 6:43 am, Frank Boettcher wrote:
So next step in the Kitchen remodel is to tile a backsplash.

Solid Surface countertop fabricated and installed. Went well, gap in
the back to the wall is flush most places to a maximum of 1/16" in a
few, and there is no SS backsplash coved or otherwise. Plan is to
tile a backsplash wall from the counter top to the bottom of the top
cabinets/windows/ vent hood. Tiles will be 3/8" proud of the wall.

Plan to leave a 3/16" gap between the tile and countertop and use a
color matched (to the grout) sanded caulk at that point. Using MAPEI
grout and keracaulk which is an acrylic caulk.

Would there be an advantage to precaulking the wall/SS joint with a
silicone before the start of tiling to get an additional water
protection seal or would this be an uneeded step or possibly a
negative.

Frank

silicone at the edge of the SS won't hurt and will provide a backup in
case the grout/caulk fails. however, that backup is only as good as
the sealer on the wall- water goes right through drywall. if the
drywall has a good coat of paint that'll help.

best thing is to do a good application of the caulk in the first
place, then keep it maintained. water leaks into your cabinetry tends
to make a mess....

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote:

So next step in the Kitchen remodel is to tile a backsplash.

Solid Surface countertop fabricated and installed.

SFWIW, got tired of having to regrout tile and ripped out tile back
splash in a kitchen.

Replaced it with 1/4" solid surface material which makes a very nice
back splash and totally gets rid of the grout maintenance.

YMMV.

BTW, if you do install tile, forget grout at the tile/counter top
joint, use something like 3M 5200.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 12, 1:08 pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Frank Boettcher" wrote:
So next step in the Kitchen remodel is to tile a backsplash.

Solid Surface countertop fabricated and installed.

SFWIW, got tired of having to regrout tile and ripped out tile back
splash in a kitchen.

Why would someone have to keep regrouting? If the tile installation
is sound, and a modified grout was used, it should last decades.

Replaced it with 1/4" solid surface material which makes a very nice
back splash and totally gets rid of the grout maintenance.

YMMV.

BTW, if you do install tile, forget grout at the tile/counter top
joint, use something like 3M 5200.

Great stuff, just takes a long time to cure - figure a week.