Posted to alt.home.repair
bill bill is offline

Default prehung door on 2x3 wall

thanks to all. i will probably go with just the new door in existing
jambs and trim, eventhough wife wanted new trim also....may be replace
that too...thanks again

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 18:46:53 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Dec 9, 7:54 am, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:

can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

Yes, it can be done. Easily no.

I had 4 closet complexes where I installed both regular (7) and bifold
(3) doors. Not a problem to make your own jambs if you have a table
or radial arm saw. Rip to width, cut to length, cut a rabit on the
uprights to accept the top jamb.

Of course mortising for the hinges (if any) and latch (if needed) adds
a bit of time and fool around. I have done all that in the past with
hammer/chisel and a few times with a router.

All those doors were done over a 10 year period rehabbing and old
house.

Harry K

I see I overlooked the 'prehung' bit. I didn't use them. I find that
a new door (no jambs) is much easier to do in that situation.

Harry K