Posted to alt.home.repair

Default prehung door on 2x3 wall

can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bill wrote:
can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

"Easily?" Not really. Prehung units are made to slip together at the
jamb and trimming there screws that up. It would be simple enough to
trim a 1/2" off each outer side of the frame except it's very difficult
to get the casing trim off w/ tearing it up. Unless I had a bunch of
them, I'd probably just opt to make the frame for it from scratch as
being quicker and simpler. But, I've a full shop--depends on what you
have to work with...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 12:08 pm, bill wrote:
can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

You'd be better off with a slab door, trimmed down to fit snugly in
the existing opening.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

The short answer is no. You could add a second layer of 1/2
drywall around the opening in a picture frame effect. Make it
something like 6" oversized and edge with L metal. The prehung
will now fit, the trim will work, and you have a new accent.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"bill" wrote in message
can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3
framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:
can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

Yes, it can be done. Easily no.

I had 4 closet complexes where I installed both regular (7) and bifold
(3) doors. Not a problem to make your own jambs if you have a table
or radial arm saw. Rip to width, cut to length, cut a rabit on the
uprights to accept the top jamb.

Of course mortising for the hinges (if any) and latch (if needed) adds
a bit of time and fool around. I have done all that in the past with
hammer/chisel and a few times with a router.

All those doors were done over a 10 year period rehabbing and old
house.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 9:54 am, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:

can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

Yes, it can be done. Easily no.

I had 4 closet complexes where I installed both regular (7) and bifold
(3) doors. Not a problem to make your own jambs if you have a table
or radial arm saw. Rip to width, cut to length, cut a rabit on the
uprights to accept the top jamb.

Of course mortising for the hinges (if any) and latch (if needed) adds
a bit of time and fool around. I have done all that in the past with
hammer/chisel and a few times with a router.

All those doors were done over a 10 year period rehabbing and old
house.

Harry K

With a prehung unit, remove the door and hinges. Take apart the
jambs. remove the stops. Rip the jamb right down the center (where
the stops will cover, then rip again to remove the inch (or
whatever). Your stop will cover the joint. You might want to
preinstall shims perfectly level, since it might be easiest to install
the frame in two parts. Not easy, no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 11:47 am, marson wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:54 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:

[...]

the frame in two parts. Not easy, no.- Hide quoted text -

Why not use biscuit's and put the ripped jamb back together? That
would make it easier to install since it would now be one piece again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 7:54 am, Harry K wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:

can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

Yes, it can be done. Easily no.

I had 4 closet complexes where I installed both regular (7) and bifold
(3) doors. Not a problem to make your own jambs if you have a table
or radial arm saw. Rip to width, cut to length, cut a rabit on the
uprights to accept the top jamb.

Of course mortising for the hinges (if any) and latch (if needed) adds
a bit of time and fool around. I have done all that in the past with
hammer/chisel and a few times with a router.

All those doors were done over a 10 year period rehabbing and old
house.

Harry K

I see I overlooked the 'prehung' bit. I didn't use them. I find that
a new door (no jambs) is much easier to do in that situation.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 6:40 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 9, 11:47 am, marson wrote:

On Dec 9, 9:54 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:

[...]

Yes, biscuits would work great if you have access to them. Also,
check with a custom jamb order. We used to get charged a measly 15
bucks a door for custom width jambs. Don't know if that would apply
to a 3 9/16" jamb or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks to all. i will probably go with just the new door in existing
jambs and trim, eventhough wife wanted new trim also....may be replace
that too...thanks again

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 18:46:53 -0800 (PST), Harry K