Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default Dell Dimension Desk Top

radiosrfun wrote:
I got a call from someone who has a Dell Dimension Desktop computer that
won't "come on".
They had a "Geek Squad" person look it over - the person said the 250w PS
was shot. There was 5v on one side but not the other. Then - those parts
were hard to get a hold of.

"I" am asking because I don't deal with Dell - I can't stand them for my own
reasons. SO - is there available power supplies out there - or do we have to
kiss Dell's ass for one?

Opinions please - so I know whether I need to call Dell or can go most
anywhere.

Older Dell motherboards had the same type of PSU ATX connector as used
on other companies ATX connector, but crucially they wired it up
differently (some thing which can apparently be undone to use a standard
supply)

Later motherboards are back to the industry standard pinout so you may
be lucky.

Your "Geek Squad" guy, if he had been a Real Geek would have known this.

What series is the Dimension computer?

--
Adrian C