Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Random musings of a COC. If I can't turn it, I'll disparage it.

Sorry Art. I missed the crotchety bit. I got up at 5:00 this am with gout.
The thought of being able to turn anything sounds good right now, as long as
I do not have to stand to do it. The meds should be ready at the drug store.
I think I will don my boots without those constricting socks and go pick
them up.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Arch" wrote in message
Painting a wooden bowl turned on a lathe and terming the effort 'Turning
Wood' is sort of like painting a sunset on a canvas and calling the
effort 'Weaving Cloth'.

A good turner who knows nothing about the craft is sort of like a good
driver who knows nothing about internal combustion engines. Do both need
to know engineering, physics, topology, golden entangles and Canuck
curves? "It ain't necessarily so."

What vast turning knowledge? A turner's inspiration has more to do with
breathing in than with divine influence. A Chimp doesn't need to drink
deep from some Pierian Spring. He just needs to secure a balanced blank,
stay on his side of the toolrest, rub the bevel, lead the flute, lag the
scraper and reduce the speed when the lathe starts to shake. It's very
likely that the chimp will turn something that knowledgeable turners
will critique ad nauseum, while some layman is buying it.

Most successful businesses make things that the public either wants or
needs and can afford. Some woodturners seek success by turning things
that they themselves want and don't need on a lathe they can't afford.

Just because a piece is useless doesn't make it fine art and calling it
art doesn't make it so. When an ignoramus reveals his ignorance by
making fun of a work of art, it diminishes him not the work.

It's not timber, tools nor shop. _ITTS _ "It's The Turner Stupid".
It's the turner that does the turning, not the equipment.

Did I get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and have a cold
breakast? You think? Naw! I'm just a crotchety ole coot, a COC in
turner's clothing.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter