Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stephen Howard Stephen Howard is offline

Default Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue?

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:43:27 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Use cascamite. It IS fairly wet proof. Not totally though.

I think the standard aircraft glue was Aerolite 306..a urea formaldehyde
type glue IIRC.

You painted one bit of wood with formic acid and the other with
something made out of a powder paste. Set rock hard.

Theser glues were almost totally replaced by PVA and epoxy/synthetic
resins repsectively..for non waterproof/waterproof applications.

Now I am prepared to admit that the acoustic properties of modern glues
may be subtly different, but as far as structural properties go, the old
'natural' glues were more or less *rubbish*.

He wanted to keep it 'authentic' though.
If that's not an issue then bog-standard Araldite is the stuff to go
for in this instance.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk