Posted to uk.d-i-y
JakeD JakeD is offline

Default Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:17:26 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

I cannot immediately find the confirmation of this but as far as a I
can remember cascamite was one of the first synthetic glues and was
originally made using milk as a basis

The original Cascamite, or at least the powdered stuff in a tin I
recall from the 1960s, was, as far as I'm aware casein glue. (Casein
being a protein by-product of milk, as I understand it.)

One of the WW2 twin engined
aircraft (can't remember it's name now) was made of wood using this
glue and always smelt of sour milk. #

Probably the de Havilland Mosquito.
http://tinyurl.com/3brdxn

JD