Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Natural, water-resistant glue such as casein or hide glue?

On 10 Dec, 19:25, JakeD wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:11:59 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

ISTR that Cascamite one shot discolours Oak if that happens to be your
hardwood.

Thanks for the warning. I'm using maple on this occasion.

JD

I cannot immediately find the confirmation of this but as far as a I
can remember cascamite was one of the first synthetic glues and was
originally made using milk as a basis One of the WW2 twin engined
aircraft (can't remember it's name now) was made of wood using this
glue and always smelt of sour milk. Maybe that's apocryphal and no
doubt there will be someone coming along to tell me that's all a load
of cobblers !

But one thing I'm pretty certain of is that Cascamite or anything like
it would not have been available 150 years ago. All glues then were
hot melt glues which have the advantage for musical instruments that
with a suitable bit of gently applied heat they can be dismantled for
repair.

Rob