Peter Grey

Default Mill spindle bearing replacement questions

"Peter H." wrote in message

I admit to spacing out when I pulled the thing apart and
didn't mark the spindle. Any idea why Gorton would suggest this? Balance
perhaps?

The bearings are gound as a set, and "witness marks" are engraved on them.

These marks should be aligned when the spacer is inserted between them.

I'm assuming that the new bearings I bought weren't ground as a set - they
didn't come packaged that way. They do have "dots" etched or marked on the
outer races. Would these be the witness marks?

What's the point of having the spacer align with the witness marks? There
seems to be no difference that I can measure in the length of the spacer at
various points around the shoulder.

Peter