Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Engraving a degree scale

DoN,

Does that change how you would scribe the lines?

Not too much -- except that I might look for index plates and
arms to fit the rotary table instead of depending on the dials. The
rest I would do as I just described in the followup to a previous branch
of this thread. (I'll plead laziness for not typing all of that again. :-)

But your way will work too -- just a bit greater chance of
making an error in reading the dials.

In partial reply, I have index plates for the table, but it looked to me
like something that was intended to be used in the vertical orientation
(axis parallel to the mill table)??? The truth was I needed the table,
recognized the potential value of an H/V, and the indexing setup was
cheap enough that I bought it figuring I'd use it some day. I have not
taken time to research exactly what I bought. I more or less get the
idea of index plates and at least some of why you recommend them here.
What is not clear is whether I can use them with the table horizontal,
which I _think_ is the correct way to scribe the lines in question.

More dumb questions to come

Thanks!

Bill