Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default prehung door on 2x3 wall

On Dec 9, 6:40 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 9, 11:47 am, marson wrote:

On Dec 9, 9:54 am, Harry K wrote:

On Dec 8, 10:08 am, bill wrote:

can i easily modify a new 2x4 prehung door jamb to fit my 2x3 framing?
or do i need to special order? thks bill

Yes, it can be done. Easily no.

I had 4 closet complexes where I installed both regular (7) and bifold
(3) doors. Not a problem to make your own jambs if you have a table
or radial arm saw. Rip to width, cut to length, cut a rabit on the
uprights to accept the top jamb.

Of course mortising for the hinges (if any) and latch (if needed) adds
a bit of time and fool around. I have done all that in the past with
hammer/chisel and a few times with a router.

All those doors were done over a 10 year period rehabbing and old
house.

Harry K

With a prehung unit, remove the door and hinges. Take apart the
jambs. remove the stops. Rip the jamb right down the center (where
the stops will cover, then rip again to remove the inch (or
whatever). Your stop will cover the joint. You might want to
preinstall shims perfectly level, since it might be easiest to install
the frame in two parts. Not easy, no.- Hide quoted text -

Why not use biscuit's and put the ripped jamb back together? That
would make it easier to install since it would now be one piece again.

Yes, biscuits would work great if you have access to them. Also,
check with a custom jamb order. We used to get charged a measly 15
bucks a door for custom width jambs. Don't know if that would apply
to a 3 9/16" jamb or not.