Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca clare at snyder.on.ca is offline

Default When I was a kid ............

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:33:34 -0600, Unknown
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:11:55 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

,;Unknown wrote:
,;
,; You want to stay young...marry a much younger woman and spend a lot of
,; time working with kids.
,;
,;
,;Well that depends on the "kids". The ones in senior high I
,;work with are about to drive me over the edge. Instead of
,;helping me to stay young they are making it worse. Out of
,;3 classes only 1 or 2 are realy worth the time spent on
,;them. They don't listen will not follow instructions etc.

Not too far from what I see. The college provides free tutoring for
the students. I believe they are required to do so. I get $7.50 per
hour before taxes. That doesn't pay for my gas. At any rate the
program is supposed to provide students who are having trouble passing
get some extra help. That being said guess who I get for students...

So far not a single student who is in trouble with chemistry courses
showed up for help. The youngsters who are usually younger than my
grandchildren are mostly A or B students looking to improve their GPA.
Most of these are girls. These kids do what is required and their
grades show it. An occasional boy signs up. The rest are mostly young
ladies in their thirties and forties who are back in school to get an
education that will improve their job. E.g. nurses moving up to a
better paying job. They are paying for it themselves and it shows.

I am also taking computer courses and am appalled at the way many
students treat their education. They don't come to class prepared.
They don't hand in home work and they don't attend class regularly.
They are told that they are failing and nothing changes. I suspect
that they are not paying for their tuition.

A college education is one of the few things I know of where a person
will pay a lot of money and then do their damdest not to get their
money's worth.

Well, I taugh Auto Shop for a few years. Secondary school level in
Ontario the guys were generally the dregs of the barrel. If the school
figured they couldn't get them into university, or make an electrician
or plumber out of them, they ended up in Auto Shop.

Then I had to teach them electrical, plumbing, physics, math, and all
the rest that is required to be a decent mechanic. About 1 in 5 stood
even a CHANCE of ever making a living as a mechanic. IF they stopped
partying and buckled down.

Then I taught at the trade level in Zambia, Central Africa. These boys
were there because the WANTED to be. They sacrifieced to be there, and
it showed. Many had severe hadicaps to learning - chronic Bilharzia,
chronic Malaria, childhood malnutrition, among others. But they TRIED.
Of the 15 fortunate enough to get into each class, I'd say 12 were
going to make it, and 7 or 8 would have made it HERE.
And these guys were basically fresh out of the "bush". Many had never
had access to decent tools, or ever been exposed to machinery in any
meanngfull way. Aged 17 to 35.