Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default When I was a kid ............

Lew Hartswick wrote:
Jim Chandler wrote:

Brings back a lot memories. Same kind of things but mine was done
in the 40s . By the 50s I was into Ham radio and the MARS station
at the 763 AC&W sta.
...lew...

Where was the 763rd, Les? That number sounds familiar. I spent my
three and a half years ('61-65) at the Washington Air Defense Sector
(WAADS) at Fort Lee, Va. and it sounds like it was one of ours.

Jim Chandler

763 AC&W sqdn. Lockport NY (just east of Niagara Falls)
CPS6-B radar with search kit installed while I was there
1951 1953. S/Sgt when departing 3 Dec 1953.
Seems a lifetime ago. :-)
...lew...

I was at WAADS in '61-'64 and I know what you mean. I was so ****ed off
at the Air Force for sending me there that when my four was up I got
out. When I didn't make it through the Atlas missile tech school (I was
a high school drop out) I asked to go into the Air Police and to go to
California. Nope. They made me a F*****g clerk and sent me to Fort
Lee, one hundred miles almost to the inch from my front door. I had
joined the Air Force to get AWAY from home. Went back in in 66 though
and cross trained into C-141 loadmaster. I think that your squadron was
under the sector headquarters that was, I think, in Mass. somewhere.
Like you said, a lifetime ago and I can't even remember what happened
yesterday half the time. :-)

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Jim Wilkins wrote on Sat, 8 Dec 2007 15:09:41 -0800
(PST) in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Dec 8, 2:28 pm, pyotr filipivich wrote:
Used to listen to WABC out of New York when I lived in Boston. The
Jean Shepard show. One night, he's reading the Cremation of Sam Magee
when I tune in. Gets tot he climactic ending, and shrieks! I shut off
the radio. Oops, now I don't know how it ends. Next day, I cop to my
Dad what I was doing, and he pulls the book off the shelf "The Collected
Poems of Robert Service." I still have that book.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/s
--
pyotr filipivich
Old farts these days - no like when I was a boy. We used to

OK, what are the requirements? I have the scruffy beard and the 1990
pickup truck and the basement full of strange old machinery but don't
really have the performance perfected yet.

I suspect it is like owning a yacht: if you have to ask, then you
aren't.
I mean, I remember a time when 50 was old - when 40 was old! But
not any more! Now you've got people in their fifties acting like
they're still youngsters, and I tell you, it just isn't right. Not like
the old days, we used to have standards, and old folks were _old_! None
of this "he's sixty years 'young'." Ha! he's sixty years old and
refusing to grow up! is what it is. (Yeah, yeah, you're only young
once, but you can be immature forever!)
Feh, when my Dad was facing his sixtieth birthday, he said to me
"Fifty nine is a good age, sixty just sounds 'old'."
Of course he's up dated that every ten years. When he turned 80, he
was saying this at the party and I told him "Feh! 80 is a good age, you
want old, I'll tell you old - staring fifty in the face!" (No wonder I
grew a beard.)

So, geezer is when you're older than those "young punks" being
elected to whatever office.

I am remembering a story of a young 2LT in the USMC, a mustang, from
the early days of WW2. He's assigned to a unit as the armourer, and
needs to go draw weapons. He wants to bring along Sgt who also was a
"China Marine" (meaning one of those assigned to the US detachment in
Shanghai/Peping before WW2). He's on the horn with a gunnery sergeant,
saying he wants Zimmerman "he knows weapons", "And with all due
respect" says the Gunny "you China Marines stick together." To which
the 2LT, still in his early twenties, replies "Some day, Gunny, I'll
have to tell you what it was like in the Old Corps!" The Gunny laughs,
they both know that the odds are, that Gunny may have kids the LT's age.

So yeah, "geezers these days, not like when I was a boy!" When I
was a kid, we had real characters; now they'll let anyone with grey hair
be an old geezer. Like me.

So, does that answer your question, bubbe?

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 18:52:12 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

,;
,;"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
,; Jim Chandler wrote:
[...]
,;Psssst. As one old fart to another, 54 years IS a lifetime to many people.
,;Sometimes, I tell these young farts, "I've got shoes older than you."
,;
,;I was five in 1953, so you got a few on me.

You don't know what old is yet. I was 5 in 1931. At present I am
taking advanced computer courses and tutoring four different chemistry
courses at a local college.

You want to stay young...marry a much younger woman and spend a lot of
time working with kids.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:

Brings back a lot memories. Same kind of things but mine was done
in the 40s . By the 50s I was into Ham radio and the MARS station
at the 763 AC&W sta.
...lew...

Where was the 763rd, Les? That number sounds familiar. I spent my three
and a half years ('61-65) at the Washington Air Defense Sector (WAADS) at
Fort Lee, Va. and it sounds like it was one of ours.

Jim Chandler

763 AC&W sqdn. Lockport NY (just east of Niagara Falls)
CPS6-B radar with search kit installed while I was there
1951 1953. S/Sgt when departing 3 Dec 1953.
Seems a lifetime ago. :-)
...lew...

Psssst. As one old fart to another, 54 years IS a lifetime to many people.
Sometimes, I tell these young farts, "I've got shoes older than you."

I had one call bull**** on me.

I took my boots off, and proved it.

Date of manufacture was inside, and I got them new.

I'm not as old as you old guys, though. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Unknown wrote:

You want to stay young...marry a much younger woman and spend a lot of
time working with kids.

Well that depends on the "kids". The ones in senior high I
work with are about to drive me over the edge. Instead of
helping me to stay young they are making it worse. Out of
3 classes only 1 or 2 are realy worth the time spent on
them. They don't listen will not follow instructions etc.
:-(
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Unknown wrote:

You want to stay young...marry a much younger woman and spend a lot of
time working with kids.

Well that depends on the "kids". The ones in senior high I
work with are about to drive me over the edge. Instead of
helping me to stay young they are making it worse. Out of
3 classes only 1 or 2 are realy worth the time spent on
them. They don't listen will not follow instructions etc.
:-(
...lew...

It's a real problm alright.
Real and serious.

My girlfriend has a 15 year old daughter.
It's nearly impossible to have a non-drama day with her around.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/09/05/te...od-tv-viewing/

http://www.pinofpa.org/resources/child_help_b.html

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2007/03/post_37.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1698246.shtml

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/gent...in500695.shtml

http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov07/sociallywired.html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:09:42 GMT, George wrote:

Can you still get germanium diodes? Haven't seen one for many a year.

http://store.americanmicrosemiconductor.com/1n34a.html

http://tinyurl.com/yucevt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 21:24:47 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

Jim Chandler wrote:
Brings back a lot memories. Same kind of things but mine was done
in the 40s . By the 50s I was into Ham radio and the MARS station
at the 763 AC&W sta.
...lew...

Where was the 763rd, Les? That number sounds familiar. I spent my three
and a half years ('61-65) at the Washington Air Defense Sector (WAADS) at
Fort Lee, Va. and it sounds like it was one of ours.

Jim Chandler
763 AC&W sqdn. Lockport NY (just east of Niagara Falls)
CPS6-B radar with search kit installed while I was there
1951 1953. S/Sgt when departing 3 Dec 1953.
Seems a lifetime ago. :-)
...lew...

Psssst. As one old fart to another, 54 years IS a lifetime to many people.
Sometimes, I tell these young farts, "I've got shoes older than you."

I was five in 1953, so you got a few on me.

Steve

'48 was a good year, me too.

That was when I started in the electrical trade - step and fetch and
hold the light for my Dad.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

About 13 years later for me.
I helped my dad placing boxes for his electrical work from the time I
was 8. Decided NOT to follow in the old man's footsteps though and
started my Automotive apprenticeship when I turned 16. Got my licence
in March '72, before my 20th birthday.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:11:55 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

,;Unknown wrote:
,;
,; You want to stay young...marry a much younger woman and spend a lot of
,; time working with kids.
,;
,;
,;Well that depends on the "kids". The ones in senior high I
,;work with are about to drive me over the edge. Instead of
,;helping me to stay young they are making it worse. Out of
,;3 classes only 1 or 2 are realy worth the time spent on
,;them. They don't listen will not follow instructions etc.

Not too far from what I see. The college provides free tutoring for
the students. I believe they are required to do so. I get $7.50 per
hour before taxes. That doesn't pay for my gas. At any rate the
program is supposed to provide students who are having trouble passing
get some extra help. That being said guess who I get for students...

So far not a single student who is in trouble with chemistry courses
showed up for help. The youngsters who are usually younger than my
grandchildren are mostly A or B students looking to improve their GPA.
Most of these are girls. These kids do what is required and their
grades show it. An occasional boy signs up. The rest are mostly young
ladies in their thirties and forties who are back in school to get an
education that will improve their job. E.g. nurses moving up to a
better paying job. They are paying for it themselves and it shows.

I am also taking computer courses and am appalled at the way many
students treat their education. They don't come to class prepared.
They don't hand in home work and they don't attend class regularly.
They are told that they are failing and nothing changes. I suspect
that they are not paying for their tuition.

A college education is one of the few things I know of where a person
will pay a lot of money and then do their damdest not to get their
money's worth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:33:34 -0600, Unknown
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:11:55 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

,;Unknown wrote:
,;
[...]

Well, I taugh Auto Shop for a few years. Secondary school level in
Ontario the guys were generally the dregs of the barrel. If the school
figured they couldn't get them into university, or make an electrician
or plumber out of them, they ended up in Auto Shop.

Then I had to teach them electrical, plumbing, physics, math, and all
the rest that is required to be a decent mechanic. About 1 in 5 stood
even a CHANCE of ever making a living as a mechanic. IF they stopped
partying and buckled down.

Then I taught at the trade level in Zambia, Central Africa. These boys
were there because the WANTED to be. They sacrifieced to be there, and
it showed. Many had severe hadicaps to learning - chronic Bilharzia,
chronic Malaria, childhood malnutrition, among others. But they TRIED.
Of the 15 fortunate enough to get into each class, I'd say 12 were
going to make it, and 7 or 8 would have made it HERE.
And these guys were basically fresh out of the "bush". Many had never
had access to decent tools, or ever been exposed to machinery in any
meanngfull way. Aged 17 to 35.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default College kids these days .... When I was a kid ............

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Unknown wrote on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:33:34 -0600
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

I suspect, that for many, "mentally" College is just a continuation
of High School, only you can sleep over.

OTOH, I had friends who went with "the partial credits sweeps" - do
all the assignments, showed all the work, turn in something for
everything. Those points often were the difference between the B and
the A. More work, but less "pressure" (it doesn't all rid on one test.)

A college education is one of the few things I know of where a person
will pay a lot of money and then do their damdest not to get their
money's worth.

Or care that they aren't getting what they're paying for - late or
absent teachers, canceled classes, usw.

Sigh, more "youth is wasted on the young."
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
clare at snyder.on.ca wrote on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:57:52 -0500 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

[...]

OTA (Older than Average) students usually have "come a purpose" -
they are here to get the education.

Although I do recall reading of a guy who was very diligent in
college, never skipped class to join his buds surfing. They thought he
was dumb for being such a grind. Now he's a teacher, so he has three
months off to surf each summer. His "smart" buddies, get two weeks
vacation a year. Priorities, man.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Worse than trying to cite Marcel Marceu is quoting the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Unknown wrote on Sun, 09 Dec 2007 05:24:57 -0600
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

,; 763 AC&W sqdn. Lockport NY (just east of Niagara Falls)
,; CPS6-B radar with search kit installed while I was there
,; 1951 1953. S/Sgt when departing 3 Dec 1953.
,; Seems a lifetime ago. :-)
,; ...lew...
,;
,;Psssst. As one old fart to another, 54 years IS a lifetime to many people.
,;Sometimes, I tell these young farts, "I've got shoes older than you."
,;
,;I was five in 1953, so you got a few on me.

You don't know what old is yet. I was 5 in 1931. At present I am
taking advanced computer courses and tutoring four different chemistry
courses at a local college.

You want to stay young...marry a much younger woman and spend a lot of
time working with kids.

You may stay young; but then again, you may get old sooner. OTOH,
seems to have worked for my Dad.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:09:42 GMT, George wrote:

Can you still get germanium diodes? Haven't seen one for many a year.

http://store.americanmicrosemiconductor.com/1n34a.html

http://tinyurl.com/yucevt

Before pre-packaged diodes, what you really wanted was a galena crystal and
a cat's whisker, if you were rich enough to afford them. Could cost as much
as a dollar! Otherwise use one of Dad's old Gillette Blue Blades and a bent
safety pin holding a piece of pencil lead. The other status symbol was a
real pair of high impedance headphones, which cost a couple of dollars;
otherwise you could perhaps scrounge a receiver from a junked telephone. You
could get plenty of good wire by cutting open old car ignition coils but the
secondary wire was too fine to be usable.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 22:33:21 -0600, "Don Young"
wrote:

You
could get plenty of good wire by cutting open old car ignition coils but the
secondary wire was too fine to be usable.

Don Young

Since my Dad was an electrician by trade, he got to wire the electric
caps on the blasting crew building roads through the Canadian Shield,
he used to save the cut off ends of the cap wire - #30 tinned copper
with either red or white plastic insulation.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:14:44 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 7, 8:03 pm, Wes wrote:
"SteveB" wrote:
What was one of your favorites you didn't put yer eye out with.

I spent many a night drifting off to sleep listening to WSAL on my crystal
radio.
http://www.wsal.com/

Wes

I remember the rocket crystal set...a friend had one and we tried it
out on different "antennas". One that worked well was the insulated
guy wire on electric power poles.

Also fell asleep listening to the local ROCK station in Toronto.

Managed to build a few too once I laid my hands on some schematics...
sold one or two of them IIRC.

Later on there were some really sophisticated circuits available.

Ahhh, memories.

Wolfgang

They still are.

http://www.crystalradio.net/

--

Boris Mohar

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
Then I taught at the trade level in Zambia, Central Africa. These boys
were there because the WANTED to be. They sacrifieced to be there, and
it showed. Many had severe hadicaps to learning - chronic Bilharzia,
chronic Malaria, childhood malnutrition, among others. But they TRIED.
Of the 15 fortunate enough to get into each class, I'd say 12 were
going to make it, and 7 or 8 would have made it HERE.
And these guys were basically fresh out of the "bush". Many had never
had access to decent tools, or ever been exposed to machinery in any
meanngfull way. Aged 17 to 35.

WOW! Would that be nice to have a class like that. It would be fun.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Don Young wrote:
"Don Foreman" wrote in message

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 03:09:42 GMT, George wrote:

Can you still get germanium diodes? Haven't seen one for many a year.

http://store.americanmicrosemiconductor.com/1n34a.html

http://tinyurl.com/yucevt

Before pre-packaged diodes, what you really wanted was a galena crystal and
a cat's whisker, if you were rich enough to afford them. Could cost as much
as a dollar! Otherwise use one of Dad's old Gillette Blue Blades and a bent
safety pin holding a piece of pencil lead. The other status symbol was a
real pair of high impedance headphones, which cost a couple of dollars;
otherwise you could perhaps scrounge a receiver from a junked telephone. You
could get plenty of good wire by cutting open old car ignition coils but the
secondary wire was too fine to be usable.

Don Young

The secondary wire was useful. I tied the end to a tree and threw the
roll over the power lines.
Made a very satisfactory flash.

Bill K7NOM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BTW, the first time my dad took me out to shoot my new crack back single
shot BB gun, the BB traveled to an old car fender, bounced, and came back
into my eye. I watched it during its whole flight. My dad rolled my
eyelid and the BB fell out. I was lucky. But I remember to this day the
flight of that BB in slow motion. My first shot with a gun.

Steve

Yeah, but KOA ws in Denver, and it, with KSL in SLC, came into Northern
Alberta just fine - Fibber Magee, Amos 'n' Andy, even boxing from
time to time. Then, by international agreement, the "clear channel"
concept was abolished, doing away with the listenability of anyhthing
distant...

My eye? The blockbuster firecracker that didn't go off, so I lit the
end of it and was blowing on the spark when it finally got the message.
Fortunately no permanent damage to my cornea - but I also got the
message..
/mark

It was KOB Albuq. and I forgot about KSL. That was 52 years ago.

Steve

I grew up in Albuquerque. My parents moved there in 1947 when my dad
was transferred to Kirkland AFB and stayed there. I obviously don't
remember that far back, but I would aaaaaaaaalmost bet that KOB was
around then. I wouldn't bet much though.

One of my bb gun memories is the first (and ONLY) time that I went
shooting with my older brother. I had my brand new Daisy Red Ryder and
he had a brand new 22 pistol. We got on our bikes and rode out to a
patch of mesa at the end of the runway at the airport. We were shooting
the crap out of all sorts of junk laying around until my brother took a
potshot at a landing B-52 that passed right over our heads on landing.
I just KNEW that my life would be over as soon as the MP's got there so
I got on my bike and hauled ass outta there. I didn't go back to that
place for many years and I don't think I EVER went anywhere with my
brother again. Nothing there now but the rental car lots for the
International Airport.

One of my other fond memories "when I was a kid" was some time later
when my friend Ronnie and packed up all of our stuff and drove out to
the foothills. There wasn't anything out there back then. We had all
kinds of pipe bomb materials and we spent the whole morning making pipe
bombs and REALLY blowing stuff up. One day we saw a cop driving our way
so we hid our stuff thinking he was probably going to haul us away. He
drove up and started talking to us and finally got around to asking why
we were there. Believe it or not, we told him that we were out there
making bombs and blowing them up. Even showed him our stuff. Our cans
of black powder and Jetex fuse that we bought at the local hardware
store (legally), and the pieces of pipe. He talked to us a short bit
more and then told us to be careful and drove away. Can you imagine
what would happen today?? We would have been immediately hauled off to
jail and would have had many many sessions with shrinks trying to figure
out what was wrong with us. That is if the feds didn't pack us off to
Club Gitmo. :-)

Wayne

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:58:22 -0700, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
Then I taught at the trade level in Zambia, Central Africa. These boys
were there because the WANTED to be. They sacrifieced to be there, and
it showed. Many had severe hadicaps to learning - chronic Bilharzia,
chronic Malaria, childhood malnutrition, among others. But they TRIED.
Of the 15 fortunate enough to get into each class, I'd say 12 were
going to make it, and 7 or 8 would have made it HERE.
And these guys were basically fresh out of the "bush". Many had never
had access to decent tools, or ever been exposed to machinery in any
meanngfull way. Aged 17 to 35.

WOW! Would that be nice to have a class like that. It would be fun.
...lew...

Yes, it was fun back then.
My oldest daughter is in Africa now - not teaching but having quite an
experiencxe too!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

You
could get plenty of good wire by cutting open old car ignition coils but
the
secondary wire was too fine to be usable.

Don Young

Since my Dad was an electrician by trade, he got to wire the electric
caps on the blasting crew building roads through the Canadian Shield,
he used to save the cut off ends of the cap wire - #30 tinned copper
with either red or white plastic insulation.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

My dad was a mechanic at a mine. He brought me heaps of blasting wire, PLUS
Steelies. Ball bearings of all kinds. I played a lot of marbles, and
everyone was after those steelies. My dad brought home a big bearing every
once in a while. It had an outer ring of steel, ball bearings in it, what
looked like a yellowish iron cage, and an inner ring of steel. You could
twist the center part, and all the ball bearings would fall out. Then I
would put it all back together again. The bearings had to be eight to
twelve inches on the outside.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I still have my crystal set and I also still have my grandfathers
crystal set... Both still in working order...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Chandler wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. lets see, 48 was when I built my first crystal set!

Steve R.

--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers