Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Steel sheet, where to buy

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 11:14:19 -0800 (PST), beecrofter
wrote:

On Dec 8, 4:39 pm, Ignoramus21145 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
21145.invalid wrote:
I need to buy some steel sheet, such as appx. 1/2 mm thick, 18x48" or
some such size. Are there any online suppliers who you would
recommend? I want regular steel, non galvanized, preferably suitable
for spot welding. This is for making motor shroud for my wire brushing
motor.

thanks

Peel the cover from a junk water heater, sometimes the insulation is
glued on but sometimes not.
Nice coat of enamel which you can remove where the welds will be.

I thought that would be too thin, but by golly you're right! I just
measured a piece I've had around quite a while: .021" including the
enamel on both sides, so probably 26 gage (.0187).

I only have about a 2' square piece left. All the rest of it was
welded into various cars as repair patches from time to time. Had one
Dodge Aspen that had so much water heater "skin" I swear it pulled to
the right when it passed the gas company...

If I were making a shroud for a spinning wheel, I'd use considerably
heavier material. I'm thinkin' vibration and fatigue cracking. But
it ain't my shroud.