Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30225 Ignoramus30225 is offline

Default Steel sheet, where to buy

Thanks to all, I found some stuff at sensible prices, will probbaly
buy it in a few days.

On 2007-12-08, Don Foreman wrote:
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 15:39:30 -0600, Ignoramus21145
wrote:

I need to buy some steel sheet, such as appx. 1/2 mm thick, 18x48" or
some such size. Are there any online suppliers who you would
recommend? I want regular steel, non galvanized, preferably suitable
for spot welding. This is for making motor shroud for my wire brushing
motor.

thanks

Some places may list it by gage rather than by mm or inch thickness

26 gage is .475mm
25 gage is .556mm
24 gage is .635mm

Most steel yards would have whatever size you want, but they might not
want to sell less than a 4' x 8' sheet. 24 gage is 1 lb/ft^2, so at
$0.80 per lb a sheet of it would be $25.60. There are at least 3
places within 15 minutes of my house in the Mnpls area that would have
it, there must be several similar places around Chicago.

Places that sell autobody supplies sometimes have sheets like you
describe. Any auto restoration place will have a stock of it.
Probably not a body shop, but very likely a restoration shop.

Here is a source for 18 x 48 sheet of .025" (.635mm or 24 gage)
annealed 4130 for $21.83:
http://tinyurl.com/yqarky