Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Allison Robert Allison is offline

Default Those bloated plastic tool cases

wrote:
I am doing some garage cleaning and I just tossed out all those huge
bloated tool cases that power tools come in. For example, I have an
18v battery reciprocating saw. The saw itself only requires a few
inches of space on my shelf, but the huge ugly case takes up half the
shelf. I can fit all my power tools in one cabinet, but all those
cases take up a whole shelf on the wall. Am I the only person that
hates those cases and tosses them in the garbage, or does everyone
find them annoying? I'm just curious.

It seems these companies make those molded plastic boxes as large as
they can, yet the tool itself has to fit into a tiny place inside the
case and that usually means the battery and blade has to be removed to
allow it to fit. Then the rest of the case is just wasted space, and
they dont even allow a space to put blades and such because they fly
all over the case and fall out when opening it. My garage is too
small as it is, and I surely dont have the space to waste on those
things.

I'm just curious what others do with them?

Gary

I throw them away for the same reasons that you mention. When
I buy a new tool nowadays, I pay for it, then I open it up to
make sure everything is in the box that is supposed to be
there. Then I put all the parts back in the cardboard box and
give the plastic container to the clerk. If there is no
cardboard box with it, I put everything in a bag.

They always act incredulous and ask me if I am sure that I
don't want it. I tell them I have no use whatsoever for it
and leave it with them. One less thing to throw away.

I am waiting for a hammer with a case.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.