Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Those bloated plastic tool cases

I am doing some garage cleaning and I just tossed out all those huge
bloated tool cases that power tools come in. For example, I have an
18v battery reciprocating saw. The saw itself only requires a few
inches of space on my shelf, but the huge ugly case takes up half the
shelf. I can fit all my power tools in one cabinet, but all those
cases take up a whole shelf on the wall. Am I the only person that
hates those cases and tosses them in the garbage, or does everyone
find them annoying? I'm just curious.

It seems these companies make those molded plastic boxes as large as
they can, yet the tool itself has to fit into a tiny place inside the
case and that usually means the battery and blade has to be removed to
allow it to fit. Then the rest of the case is just wasted space, and
they dont even allow a space to put blades and such because they fly
all over the case and fall out when opening it. My garage is too
small as it is, and I surely dont have the space to waste on those
things.

I'm just curious what others do with them?

Gary
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 12:24 am, wrote:
[...]

I keep mine because the cases protect all of
the tools and accessories when I load them on the
truck to go to a job. The way people drive these days
tools and equipment can bounce around when one
has to engage in collision avoidance maneuvers.

[8~{} Uncle Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I throw them away for the same reasons that you mention. When
I buy a new tool nowadays, I pay for it, then I open it up to
make sure everything is in the box that is supposed to be
there. Then I put all the parts back in the cardboard box and
give the plastic container to the clerk. If there is no
cardboard box with it, I put everything in a bag.

They always act incredulous and ask me if I am sure that I
don't want it. I tell them I have no use whatsoever for it
and leave it with them. One less thing to throw away.

I am waiting for a hammer with a case.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 4:17 pm, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Dec 9, 12:24 am, wrote:

[...]

[8~{} Uncle Monster- Hide quoted text -

yes i agree and it stops dust and dirt getting in the motor
protects your tools and best of all people cant see what you have
and dont ask to borrow the tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Those cases make some sense if you are a working carpenter and have to
provide your own tools on the jobsite. Yeah, most probably are bigger
than they need to be, to give a Big Tuff look in the store. But they do
offer a whole lot more protection than a stamped-steel box or old milk
crate in the back of the truck. All that extra space lets the inside
pocket be isolated from the vibrations and crushing the outside receives.

I'd pay a few bucks extra for a logically designed case that could hold
an assembled tool, with compartments for all the usual accessories that
travel with it. Cases where you have to tear the tool down completely
each time are a pain.

Sears has been the biggest offender, and not just on power tools. For a
few years, their mechanics tool sets came in cases like that, with no
extra places for oddball sockets or extra tools to go. They seem to have
switched back to traditional boxes lately. Dewalt and Makita, along with
Milwaukee, seem to provide the best carry cases, with real latches and
such, but are still often short on blade pockets.

Since I'm not currently using tools for a living, mine seldom leave the
house, but I do keep them in the boxes, for the few that have boxes.
(After 20 years in an apartment, I am slowly rebuilding my tool library,
depending heavily on garage sales until a good sale comes along, or I
Really Need a particular tool around the house.) If and when I ever get
around to setting up a bench, they will probably have dedicated slots on
shelf, with the empty cases going in dead storage, which this place has
plenty of.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 8:22�am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 00:24:21 -0600, wrote:
I am doing some garage cleaning and I just tossed out all those huge
bloated tool cases that power tools come in. �

-snip-
I'm just curious what others do with them?

If I was traveling with my tools I might keep more of them. �But since
I don't, I have just 2 [of maybe a dozen or so] in my shop.

Ryobi made a nice case for the old ?7? volt cordless drill I own. �You
can put the drill with a screw bit in the case- battery attached. �And
it still has slots for a second battery, the charger, and some misc.
bits/drills.

The other one I use came with a Dremel tool in it. � Part of it was
already set up to hold a bunch of Dremel bits- I used the Dremel tool
to open up the rest to hold 2 more little boxes of Dremel accessories-
one is all cut off discs- the other is rarely used bits. � � � That
Dremel sits in the garage on the bench- I have another in the
basement. � � �The box that has Dremel embossed in the side makes it
easy to remember where all my bits are. �[part of it might just be
years- but I also have a weird disease that makes remembering the
simple-est things a crap shoot some days]

Jim

first thing I do is toss the cases they are way too big.

started doing what my father in law does, a old suitcase right sized
for each tool or tool group.

another too box question why are they all brite colors? regular tool
boxes? i prefer grey or black black ideally it stays looking good a
long time and doesnt show dirt.

geez the brite pinks and purples look gaudy to me
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 06:13:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

geez the brite pinks and purples look gaudy to me

Those are for gay guys. Didn't anyone tell you? LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 6:13Â*am, " wrote:
[...]

geez the brite pinks and purples look gaudy to me- Hide quoted text -

The rarely used one I _usually_ keep in the cases. Anything I use
regularly are out where I can grab them without fumbling around with a
case. 90% of those have the last bit, blade, whatever that I used in
them still there. If it comes to having to tear a tool down to put it
in a case, the case disappears at the first use. Most of them you
can't get everyting back in anyhow as the cord usually needs to be
neatly and tightly bundled, including applying a wire tie. Cordless
are a bit better.

Someone else mentioned the nice neat storeage of all the bits and
pieces and I have the same problem, instant 'fall out' when the case
is opened.

My opinion is that life is too short to be screwing around with a
case.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 9, 12:24 am, wrote:
[...]

Some of tool cases show up on eBay. Makes sense if you need a case and
happen to bid on a tool without one.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe I'm old school but I prefer metal cases. They are more durable.

The Pipe Man - http://www.t-drill.com/Pipe-Cutter.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pipe Man" wrote in message
Maybe I'm old school but I prefer metal cases. They are more durable.

And more usable. Those plastics are a booger to cut out so you can use the
case part. With the metal, they were good for a lot of things, many times
with little or no modifications.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 21, 11:14 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Pipe Man" wrote in message

Maybe I'm old school but I prefer metal cases. They are more durable.

And more usable. Those plastics are a booger to cut out so you can use the
case part. With the metal, they were good for a lot of things, many times
with little or no modifications.

Steve

Yeah, I miss the old milwaukee cordless drill metal case. Now, THAT
was a case. I hate those plastic cases where you have to get
everything just so to get the tool to fit. Funny to think about tool
cases, cause I realize some tools I always use the case and others
never, without ever thinking about it. I always keep my sawzall case
(keep track of the cord and a handful of blades). Also my Jigsaw
case. Also a cordless drill case (charger, bits, extra battery). And
my 18 gauge brad nailer case. Never keep a circ saw case. Or a
framing nailer case. Got a cordless dewalt set and it comes in a
bag. what a joke. I suppose it depends on how many accessories come
with the tool.