jim rozen

Default sales tax (was: " What's the deal with HF?")

In article , Grant Erwin says...

They would already have a nationwide sales tax on online sales except for
the myriad of tax laws on the books. There is a giant effort underway to
standardize tax laws. This is being done largely out of the public eye.
The reasoning is obvious: the states know damn well they are losing sales
tax to online sales, and they are all hurting for money. I bet it will only
be a few more years of no sales tax for online purchasing. - GWE

Starting (I think in 2002) my current home state of Taxachusetts added a
line to the personal income tax return form for reporting those untaxed
out of state purchases, with instructions on how to compute the tax and
pay it with your income taxes. It would be fun to learn how many folks
complied.

Yep, NY state now *imputes* a tax for otherwise untaxable
sales (mail order, internet) and automatically adds that to
one's tax burden. For me this year it was about fifty bucks.
Non-negotiable.

Jim

please reply to: