Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to compare electric vs natural gas heating costs

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
Recently bought a house in the Seattle area, built about 1980. At the
time the house was built, there was no gas in the area. The house has a
heat pump, which is nearing the end of its life. Natural gas is now
available in the area. I'm wondering if I should go with another heat
pump, or natural gas. Since about 80% of the electricity here is hydro,
it's relatively cheap, about $.08/KWH. I don't know what the price of the
gas is per cu', but I could find out. Is there a way I could get a rough
estimate of how much natural gas I would consume to heat the house, based
on the electricity used for this purpose?

Your electric is about half what I pay. You can plug in numbers here to get
a pretty good comparison based on using the same Btu for your house. You
need to know the cost of gas, of course.
http://hearth.com/econtent/index.php...on_calculator/