Posted to alt.home.repair
Roof Time Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati is offline

Default repairing wet roof?

On Dec 7, 6:02 pm, Norminn wrote:
wrote:
On Dec 7, 2:03 pm, Roof Time Cincinnati wrote:

..a good tip would be to
manually hand seal each tab to the existing roof..rather than waiting
for thermal sealing to kick in! Good Luck!

Yeah, I think that's what the problem was with my roof --- it doesn't
get hot enough here to seal well, rarely over 65 even in July. And
apparently the "pros" here don't know to do it, because when I asked
the hardware store guy for roofing cement to seal the tabs, he said
nobody uses it for that, it's just for flashings.

My city requires "spot cementing" under each tab for shingles on mansard
roofs. This became "law" after ours was done otherwise. I found the
requirement in the FAQ, under what are the most common reasons for red
tag. Some other mentions were hard to interpret, as they looked like
there were typing errors. Most referred to nailing and cementing.
Curiously, there is no mention of the slope requirement for "mansard"
roofs, but mebbe all the roofers know what it is )- Hide quoted text -

hello" hand sealing is not confined to just mansard roofs...basically
any roof with a positive slope (pitch) of 12/12 ( 12" of rise every 12
inches of length) and up needs hand sealed AND 6 nails as oppossed to
the standerd 4 nails.PER tab.

An esy visual definition for a mansrd roof is a BARN roof..picture an
old barn with steep sides meeting lower slope 'reg" looking roof.