Posted to alt.home.repair
Roof Time Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati is offline

Default repairing wet roof?

On Dec 7, 2:37 pm, wrote:
I lost some shingles during a storm a few days ago, and I want to put
some new ones on, but I thought I was supposed to wait for the roof to
be dry. I was going to put them on today, because the weather report
yesterday said today would be partly cloudy, but damned if we didn't
just have another shower. It's not raining hard or often, just a
couple showers a day, enough to keep the roof wet. So is it worse to
wait and let it keep getting wet, or to trap the moisture in by
putting the new shingles on before it dries? The area needing new
shingles (the old ones are completely gone down to the tar paper) is
about 5' x 6'. Thanks for any help.

A great and humerous exchange..in this group?!?! WOW...nice.....

okay what kind of roof is it??...steep...pitched......because MALCOLM
is totally correct: you should stay off a wet roof whenever
possible........

basically as far as just the material is concerned....wet felt paper
will tend to buckle...so in an ideal situation, you'd like to see the
exposed felt be as flat as possible..however.....the very fact that
some of your roof has blown off..means something is going wrong...and
may indicate that the entire system will need extensive work in the
near future...so you could get the felt issue right at that time...if
the roof is not too steep...and you have the skill (and a little
courage) to tackle the job on your own..then the fact that it is wet /
snowy / damp...will not effect the shingles themselves....we spend
many rainy days running around our market making emergency repairs for
insurance companies and panicked homeowners....a good tip would be to
manually hand seal each tab to the existing roof..rather than waiting
for thermal sealing to kick in! Good Luck!