Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Natural Gas Shut Off (but no butane lighter)

On Dec 5, 10:10 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Someone has a goofy sense of things. Someone want to tell me how a butane
lighter can explode while lighting a pilot light?

I use an Aim N Flame, one of the long lighters with the flame at the end.
Or, I use a Mapp or propane torch to warm the thermocouple and light the
pilot. I've been known to warm the thermocouple with a Mapp torch, turn
the
gas valve open, and the torch lights the burner ring under the water tank.
Yeah, that's probably not a good idea.

I don't much like the smell of sulfur with using matches.

I probably goes with the "don't use your cell phone when pumping gas"
stories. I did a quick Google search and found nothing of interest on
explosions

A few years ago I helped my wife put together a mock safety program
for a class she was taking. On the CD we included a video of a lady
who answered her cell phone while pumping gas and the "air" around her
burst into flames. I'll see if I can find it or the link and get it
posted someplace.