Simon

Default Worktop to wall (sealing)

"John Greenwood" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

The walls in my kitchen are far from square and after fitting my worktop
there are gaps between the worktop and the wall of differing sizes at
various intervals along the 3m length. I didn't have the patience or skill
to plane the worktop to fit the wall.

A relatively simple task of scribing, place the wortop in position so that
it's front edge is equal distance from the carcasses ..... calculate what
overhang you require and subtract that from the current distance, then
either using a block of wood cut to size and a pencil, or a pair of compass
set to the right distance, you scribe along the back edge

I don't know the correct way to seal a worktop to the wall but I was going
to seal it to the wall with transparent silicone before tiling. After

tiling
should I then run a bead of silicone along the tile/worktop edge or will

the
grout be sufficient considering I have already sealed the worktop behind

the
tiles.

the second sealant will stop the tiles and worktop seperating and looking
ugly with later movement

But now that I have large gaps how do I seal the worktop to the wall or
should I forget this and just tile, bringing the tiles out from the wall
with large lumps of grout to cover the gaps.

You haven't said how large .. you might, now, have to either resort to dry
lining that section if the gap is too big, or building it out with plaster.
Don't try and build it out with adhesive, it won't work.

Or should I fill the gaps with something and then seal with silicone and
then tile. If so what can I fill the gaps with so the silicone does not

just
disappear down the back?

sounds like a BIG gap ...... maybe you should have taken it slower and asked
these questions BEFORE fitting the worktop

BTW, the exposed chipboard on the worktop edges have been sealed with PVA.

that's good

I don't want a rotten worktop in 2 years!

Thanks,

John