Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Colored or dyed veneers

On Dec 1, 9:15 am, Prometheus wrote:

fill kits as needed- Sam's Club used to
sell one for about $20 that came with five pint- sized bottles of the stuff (one of each of the primary colors, and two black)

Damnit Fireman, wish you had that on the boards a couple of weeks
ago. That's a great idea. I am struggling with some of the dye
colors, and only need a little bit for ornaments, etc. You know there
is always just a little bit left in each cartridge, and even Big Lots
has those refill kits every once in a while, and they are about $10.

I use a lot of Behlens Solar Lux dye and swear by it, but I hate
having to pull it out, cut it down so that it will be translucent (1
part dye, 3 parts anhydrous alcohol for anyone interested) so you can
see the grain.

Excellent suggestion.

Now maybe I can help anyone worried about runs, splotchiness and
ruining of their dye job. Before final finishing, "fix" the color (or
simply finish) with a rattle can of high quality lacquer. I spray on
the lathe with newspaper on the ways, and the holding device taped off
with any kind of wide tape I have.

After you put a coat of lacquer on, it is awfully easy to just put
another coat on 20 minutes later... then another if needed twenty
after that and be finished.
And dyes and lacquers are wonderful together, much better than stains.

Robert