Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Home Owner Suggestion

On Dec 5, 3:42�pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"hands on" wrote in message

On Dec 5, 12:01 pm, wrote:
On Dec 4, 5:28 pm, Bubba wrote:

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 05:18:21 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Dec 4, 7:51 am, " wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:41?am, hands on wrote:

My house of 2 1/2 years old has been determined by soil tests not
meet the 1500 pounds per square foot load bearing capacity minimum
it
was designed for. 4 of 5 test sites next to my foundation failed
by an
engineering company test.
So I have a dilemma-sue the builder, maybe get some money out of
it
and still have a defective house or sell it like it is.

might as well fix it, since you must disclose the problem to all
buyers and they wouldnt pay what you paid for the home.

your only option is sue to get it fixed or ruin your credit and walk
away, letting the bank take it back thru foreclosure.

you need a lawyer, best wishes

I agree a sale isn't going to solve this. � If you disclose it as
required, from what little we know, it sounds like the house would be
just about unsalable. � And if you don't, the buyer is going to figure
it out and sue you when they find out.

Also, walking away in most cases has implications beyond a ruined
credit rating. � The holder of the mortgage can still come after you
for the shortfall and assuming you have any other assets, income, etc,
collect. � If the overall financial situation is so bad you have to
file bankruptcy, then that's one way it could be wiped out.

In many areas new homes have some type of warranty program backed by
an independent agency that covers major structural issues like
this.

I also agree that you need to talk to a good lawyer.

and now trader is a realtor/lawyer expert.
You are some EE. In case you havent heard Einstein, bankruptcy doesnt
always relieve you 100% anymore. Try something else you dont know.
Bubba- Hide quoted text -

Bubba, is this your new pastime? � Following me around, attacking me
over nothing?

If you follow the thread, all I did was point out that walking away
from a bad house and letting
the bank foreclose doesn't absolve the owner of the debt. � If the
bank is still owed more than
the house can be sold for, they can come after other assets or
income. � �And yes, I said:

"If the overall financial situation is so bad you have to file
bankruptcy, then that's one way it could be wiped out."

Note the word "could". �I never said that bankruptcy will ALWAYS wipe
out all of it. � But often it still does. � For example, if the
debtor's income is less than the median in their area, then they can
go for liquidation bankruptcy. �If not, then it gets more complicated
and there is means testing to determine if they will be required to
pay back some of the debt over time.

You'll also note that I suggested they contact a lawyer.

And once again, besides baseless attacks, you contributed exactly what
that was helpful to the discussion?

They tested the soil right next to my foundation. They went down 6
feet/ nothing but sand and wet clay. After reaching 6 feet the soil
impact tester dropped out of site at 2 spots with no resistance. Time
to "lawyer up"

What's a builder supposed to do if they want to fix the situation BEFORE
building a house?- Hide quoted text -

dig to solid bedrock or pour a large slab several feet thick to
distribuite the load....

or dig deep and backfill with proper gravel

some areas arent worth building on because the sub soil is just too
poor