Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Colored or dyed veneers

Thanks Prometheus for the information. I probably should have gone into a
little more detail on what I planned for the colored or dyed veneers. They
will be used for colored accents on the designs for segmented turnings. I've
only been turning for about 2 years now since I retired and any help is
appreciated.
I will give your suggestions a try at least for the black because I have
some old walnut veneer. I'll have to wait on the other colors as the nearest
Sam's Club is 116 miles away. Still need a supplier of veneer so if you or
anyone reading this post has one, please direct me to that site.

Thanks again,
John

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 13:01:19 -0600, "John"
wrote:

Hi to the group....anyone out there have a good source for colored or

dyed
veneers ranging from 1/32" thru 1/8" thickness. Any help is appreciated.

This might sound a little wierd, but I assure you, it looks great.

I'd get any old veneer, and "paint" it with ink. If black is what you
need, india ink works well, but any color can be made by mixing the
ink from printer cartridge refill kits as needed- Sam's Club used to
sell one for about $20 that came with five pint-sized bottles of the
stuff (one of each of the primary colors, and two black)

Like I said, it sounds a little wierd, but veneer is more than thin
enough for the ink to soak all the way through, and the ink is
translucent enough to leave the wood grain visible- and it does not
splotch on tough woods the way stain does.

And, if you want to be more wood-working correct, you could get
analine dye instead, which will do the same job. Only problem is that
the dye costs more, and doesn't really look any better.

Just make sure to test the topcoat before finishing, to make sure it's
not going to dissolve the ink. The stuff I use for ebonizing is
alcohol soluable, so shellac is out. You get the idea.