Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

In article , badandy001@gmaildotcom wrote:
Phisherman wrote:

I'm sure the boards dried 48+ years ago. Walnut dust is known to be a
hazard--buy a dust mask that has a good seal and a DC will be a wise
health investment.

Well, I elected to forego the Dust Collector for the moment. I know Ill
have a huge mess with the planer.

Yes, you will. IMO, you should re-think that plan.

I do the best I can with a shop vac.
I have a couple paper masks, Ill probably get a respirator when I start
doing the planing.

Planers don't make too much dust (so a respirator isn't all that important),
but they sure make a lot of chips, and they'll go *everywhere*. If you're
planning to collect them as they're produced, with a hose connected to the
shop vac, I think you'll be disappointed in the results, as the planer will
produce shavings at a rate probably too fast for the shop vac to keep up. And
if you're planning to just sweep up afterward... I think you'll be
disappointed in the results there, too.

Ive always heard to on plane one side of a board and wait a couple days
for it to acclimate before doing the other side.

That's incorrect. You want to remove approximately the same amount from each
side at the same time, so that each side of the board has approximately the
same moisture content.

Do I have to worry about this with wood this old?

Not if you do it the right way (same amount off each side, at the same time).

--
Regards,