Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

Andy H wrote:
Phisherman wrote:

I'm sure the boards dried 48+ years ago. Walnut dust is known to
be
a hazard--buy a dust mask that has a good seal and a DC will be a
wise health investment.

Well, I elected to forego the Dust Collector for the moment. I know
Ill have a huge mess with the planer. I do the best I can with a
shop vac. I have a couple paper masks, Ill probably get a respirator
when I start doing the planing.

Ive always heard to on plane one side of a board and wait a couple
days for it to acclimate before doing the other side.

Do I have to worry about this with wood this old?

If you're taking about the same amount off each side and just enough
to clean it up then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're taking a
heavy cut on one side to reduce the thickness significantly then yeah,
it's a good idea to let it rest for a bit after planing--the moisture
content doesn't react instantly to humidity changes, so there will
likely be a gradient across the thickness. Not much of one but enough
to possibly cause a little bit of cupping.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)