Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] golfismylife31@yahoo.com is offline

Default Furring strips ON TOP of my roof shingles?

On Dec 3, 11:13 pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 3, 10:27 pm, wrote:

On Dec 3, 4:26 pm, RicodJour wrote:

On Dec 3, 6:19 pm, wrote:

I live on the Oregon coast, and I am watching the shingles blow off of
myroof. This doesn't happen often, but it happens often enough that
I want to find a better way than just nailing them back on one at a
time.

Myroofhas "architectural" shingles, which to me just means they
don't lie flat, and they make it a lot easier for the wind to get
under them. It occurs to me that I could greatly reduce the chance of
their blowing off if I nailed them down with furring strips every
couple feet or so, i.e. 8' long, very light 1x2s running vertically
from the peak to the gutter. I know it wouldn't look great, but the
biggest problem is with the part of theroofthat faces the back yard,
so they wouldn't be visible from the street. And if I painted them
dark brown, they might not be visible at all unless someone was
looking for them.

I realize that it would hurt the resale, but a) I have no plans to
move, and b) it wouldn't take much extra work to pull them up when I
get a newroof, which I would have to do if I sold the house anyway.

So, comments? Other than the looks, is there any structural or
practical reason why they wouldn't work?

It would be similar to using a collander as a hat in a rain storm.
It'll leak like a sieve, and it'll look like crap.

Buy someroofcement in caulking tubes, gently pry up and separate the
shingles (sounds like they're not sealed together), and squirt a dab
ofroofcement under the shingles every 4" to 6". That'll bond one
layer to the next and will take care of the blow off problem. Only
problem is that it is work that is best done in warmer weather.

Why would it leak? Maybe I didn't make it clear that the strips are
going over the shingles just to hold them down; I'm not expecting the
strips to provide any rain protection. I won't need many nails per
strip, and I'll put tar over the nails.

I've changed my mind. You've convinced me that you're right. Zero
chance it'll leak. Nail away!

BTW, we'll be electing a new alt.home.repair moderator and I feel you
should nominate yourself. You've got mad construction skillz.

R- Hide quoted text -

Man..were you having a bad day or WHAT??? The man is asking for
help.....you have to slam him, casue he has an opinion? WOW....I guess
EVERY home improvement you ever attempted on your own, was perfection
huh?! LOL sheesshhhhh......I give the homeowner credit for devising a
plan and acting on it, and not just ignoring it, hoping it will go
away.....
You should remember this: You can know the right way to do many
things, but if this is how you handle others...who cares??? people
will just bypass your information (and you)..after all your FREE
advise..is worth JUST THAT....LOL...laughing AT you..not WITH
you....on this one R