Posted to alt.home.repair
Roof Time Cincinnati Roof Time Cincinnati is offline

Default Furring strips ON TOP of my roof shingles?

On Dec 5, 2:59 am, wrote:
On Dec 4, 4:53 pm, wrote:

Take a look at the tips from FEMA about roofs:

http://www.fema.gov/plan/prevent/howto/how2031.shtm

Thanks, but can what they said about the price be right?

"A roofing contractor will charge you about $100 to $150 per square
foot of roof area to remove and replace shingles and underlayment."

My roof is at least 60x30, not even counting the garage. That's
1800 sq ft, so they are saying it would cost around $200K for a new
roof??? Are they figuring in the cost of driving ice all over the
country or something?

LOL...I see why you would freak..but NO, that is not quite right.....a
'square" denotes a 10' x 10' area...so a 60x30 is 1800 sq FEET but
only 18 squares! But you must also take into account the RISE or pitch
of the roof.....

Flat Roofs
If your roof is flat or has no more than a 3 in12 pitch, (rises 3"
every 12") you can calculate its total square footage by simply
multiplying the length by the width. So you would have 1800 squres off
your measurement.

Steeper Roofs
Measure your house at ground level, then add in the roof's overhang
for greater accuracy. Example, if the roof overhang is 12 inches,
you'll add 2 feet to the overall length and 2 feet to the overall
width of the house. This nominal square footage amount is then
multiplied by a factor associated with the roof's pitch. Multiply by:
4 in 12 1.06
5 in 12 1.08
6 in 12 1.12
7 in 12 1.16
8 in 12 1.20
9 in 12 1.25
10 in 12 1.30
11 in 12 1.36
12 in 12 1.42

So your home will be no less than 18 squares but no more than 21
sqares. Then you need to account for chimney flashings, metal work,
ice guard, venting upgrades, dump fees, and shingle upgrades...the 150
- 200 square price, generally does not factor in these associated
roofing costs.

If you want to email me over a picture of your house, I could give you
some better ideas of squares needed, and associated upgrade
costs...... not specific to your area..but it might give you a rough
idea.....Good Luck!