Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furring strips ON TOP of my roof shingles?

wrote in message
As far as I can tell, there were no nails used to put the shingles on
originally, just staples. The neighbors, who are apparently rich
because they only live here in the summer, had the same local outfit
roof their new house, and they lost a bunch of shingles in the first
storm, too. Since they're rich, they had an outside company come in
and put a new roof on their two-month old house, and from what I could
see they just used staples too (driven by compressed air), but they
haven't had any problems. Are staples and nails interchangeable?

Staples don't hold as well as nails int he wind. Some local codes specify
no staples, nails only. Staples are cheaper/faster, but do not hold as
well.

My nails go into the sheathing, but not all the way through. They
seem to be holding. Why is it important that they penetrate
completely?

Maximum holding. They don't have to go far past though.

No, I'm just stupid. So let me see if I understand what you're
saying --- The shingles should be nailed, but only where they are
covered by the shingle above them, and the lower flaps should be glued
down?

Yes, the shingles have an adhesive that is heat activated in the sun.