Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default do all projects end like this?

Pete C. wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
Bill wrote:
They do at my very old house!

(snip)

Parts (both plumbing and electrical) are cheap, so I keep well stocked
parts kits with everything I might need for the typical projects. I
figure the perhaps $100 (combined) in parts on hand will easily save
that just in the gas that would otherwise be required to run out and get
parts as needed.

I'll agree with that. I'm not organized enough to build a stockpile in
any planned fashion, but I always keep any extra parts- every few years
I get motivated enough to sort out all the misc screws, bolts, brackets,
etc. And when I replaced some 2-hole outlets and some worn-out switches,
I rounded up the numbers and bought the 'contractor' 10-packs, since the
unit cost was lower anyway. I've used a couple from shelf stock since
then. Fasteners, unless they are expensive, I will buy by the box
instead of the overpriced baggies.

I really need to get off my ass (and off this time-sucking Usenet) and
sort out that island of trash-picked milk crates in my basement, where
my tool and part stockpiles have sat since I moved in 2.5 years ago.
They are kind of sorted by category, but small bins (that I don't
have) on a bank of shelves down there (that I haven't built yet) would
work SO much better...

(the milk crates did work out pretty well in the 2x5 patio storage
closet in the apartment where I lived for 12 years before buying the
house...)

aem sends...