Posted to rec.woodworking
Chip Buchholtz Chip Buchholtz is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

Leon wrote:

: IIRC FWW had an article with plans on building that jig and I built one
: myself. I can probably did up the plans in .pdf if you would like a copy.

Thanks, but I'm mostly just curious and saving up ideas for later. I
don't have an immediate need. I'm thinking that I'll buy a planer
before a jointer, when I have an immediate need.

: I was able to flatten rough cut 4/4 oak 8-13" wide and 8' long with the jig
: and my stationary planer. That would be pretty tough to do with most any
: jointer unless you start getting into the 12" and larger jointers.

: Keep in mind that the boards need to pretty straight and flat to be able to
: joint a board that wide and long and have at leas 3/4 left when you are
: done. If the board have much bow or warp you would be better off ripping
: with a BS and or shortening the board to begin with to minimize the bow or
: warp.

Great info - thanks!

--- Chip