Posted to rec.woodworking
Chip Buchholtz Chip Buchholtz is offline

Default I Need advice on tool purchases

Leon wrote:

: "Chip Buchholtz" wrote in message

: As far as I know you can't joint (flatten) a face without a jointer.
: I think I understand why you can't flatten a face on a planer, but I
: don't understand why they don't make planers that can also flatten a
: face.

: With the proper jig, you absolutely can flatten a face with a planer.

Thanks, Leon.

So I just make a flat, stiff, and parallel surface, attach the wood to
be flattened to one side, and use shims so that the rollers don't flex
the wood as it goes through. Then send that through the planer and
the face opposite the jig becomes flat and parallel to the jig.

Do I have it right?

What's a good way to fasten the work to the jig? Double sided tape?

Thanks again,

--- Chip